Unit 11: National Parks – Tiếng Anh Lớp 10
Unit 11: National Parks
If Condition Type III (Câu Điều Kiện Loại III)
– Câu điều kiện loại III (câu điều kiện quá khứ) được dùng ở quá khứ, diễn tả các sự vật, sự việc không xảy ra trong quá khứ có thể có ảnh hưởng đến các sự vật, sự việc khác.
– Câu điều kiện loại III thường ám chỉ điều xấu hổ, tiếc nuối trong quá khứ.)
Ví dụ: If we hadn’t wasted time, we wouldn’t have missed our flight. (Nếu chúng ta không lãng phí thời gian, chúng ta đã không lỡ chuyến bay.)
|IF clause||Main clause||Examples|
|Had + past participle||could/would + have + past participle||If I hadn’t driven so fast, you would never have had the accident.|
A. Reading Unit 11 Trang 112 SGK Tiếng Anh Lớp 10
Before You Read (Trước khi bạn đọc)
Work with a partner. Answer the following questions. (Làm việc với bạn học. Trả lời các câu hỏi sau.)
1. Have you ever been to a national park?
2. Can you name some of the national parks in Vietnam and in the world?
3. What trees and animals can you see in a national park?
While You Read (Trong khi bạn đọc)
Read the passages, and then do the tasks that follow. (Đọc các đoạn văn, và sau đó làm các bài tập theo sau.)
Bài Nghe A. Reading Unit 11 Trang 112 SGK Tiếng Anh Lớp 10 MP3
Cuc Phuong National Park, Vietnam
Cuc Phuong National Park is located 160 kilometres south west of Hanoi. It is the first of Vietnam’s nine national parks to be established, and it contains over 200 square kilometres of rainforest. Tourists go there to study butterflies, visit caves, hike mountains and look at the 1,000-year-old tree. The best time to visit the park is during the dry season, from October to April, when the rainy season is over.
Nairobi National Park, Kenya
Nairobi National Park is Kenya’s smallest park, but you may be surprised at the large variety of animals that live there. Visitors, especially children, can go there to learn how to recognise the different species of animals and plants. They also learn about the habits of animals and how one species is dependent upon another for survival. An interesting feature of this park is the Orphanage, where lots of orphaned or abandoned animals are taken care of.
Everglades National Park, USA
Everglades National Park is a sub-tropical wilderness in the southeastern United States. This national park is special because it has plants and animals from both tropical and temperate zones. Due to an increase in population and the use of nearby land for farming, there are toxic levels of chemicals in the water. This contamination has threatened the park and many of the animals in it.
Task 1. Find the word in the passage that best suits each of the following definitions. (Tìm từ trong đoạn văn mà phù hợp nhất với mỗi định nghĩa sau.)
1. establish: to start an organization that is intended to continue for a long time
2. _________: to have something inside
3. _________: a group/groups of animals or plants
4. _________: a state of continuing to live or exist
5. _________: related to an area near a tropical area
6. _________: a state of being polluted
Task 2. Answer the following questions. (Trả lời các câu hỏi sau.)
1. What is the area of the rainforest in Cuc Phuong National park?
2. Why would November be a suitable time to visit park?
3. What can people learn in Nairobi National Park?
4. What kinds of animals are taken care of in the Orphanage?
5. Why is Everglades National Park endangered?
6. What do you think will happen to Everglades National park if more chemicals are released into the water?
After You Read (Sau khi bạn đọc)
Discuss in groups. Which of the three national parks would you like to visit most? Why? (Thảo luận nhóm. Công viên nào trong ba Công viên quốc gia bạn muốn thăm nhất? Vì sao?)
B. Speaking Unit 11 Trang 114 SGK Tiếng Anh Lớp 10
Task 1. Last week Nga’s class went on an excursion to Huong Pagoda. Unfortunately, the excursion turned out to be a disaster. Most of the things they did went wrong. Combine the things in column A with corresponding consequences in column B and read out the sentences. (Tuần trước lớp của Nga đã đi thăm quan Chùa Hương. Rủi thay, cuộc thăm quan đã biến thành thảm họa. Hầu như mọi thứ họ đã làm đều trở nên xấu. Kết hợp những việc ở cột A với hậu quả tương ứng ở cột B và đọc các câu này.)
|1. They went by coach.
2. They did not bring enough food and drinks
3. Some had food poisoning.
4. They had no raincoats.
5. Some left their luggage on the coach when they arrived.
6. Some were not careful when walking in Huong Pagoda.
7. Some threw waste in the forest.
8. They stayed there only one day.
|a. They got a fine.
b. They had no clothes or money with them.
c. They got lost.
d. They couldn’t visit all the pagodas.
e. They had to spend a lot of money eating in expensive restaurants.
f. Most of them got carsick.
g. They got wet and some got a cold.
h. They didn’t enjoy their visit.
Example: They went to Huong Pagoda by coach and most of them got carsick.
Task 2. Most of the students in Nga’s class are not happy with their excursion to Huong Pagoda. Now they are talking about what they wish they had or hadn’t done. (Phần lớn học sinh ở lớp của Nga không vui với cuộc tham quan ở Chùa Hương. Bây giờ họ đang nói về những gì họ ước họ đã hoặc không làm.)
If we hadn’t gone by coach, we wouldn’t have got carsick.
If we had gone by bike, we wouldn’t have got carsick.
Continue their talk, using the ideas in Task 1.
Task 3. You are Nga. Work with a partner. Tell her/him about your class’ excursion to Huong Pagoda and express your regrets about what you did or did not do during the excursion. (Em là Nga. Làm việc với bạn học. Hãy kể cho bạn ấy về cuộc tham quan của lớp em ở Chùa Hương và bày tỏ sự hối tiếc của em về những gì các em đã làm và không làm trong cuộc tham quan.)
C. Listening Unit 11 Trang 115 SGK Tiếng Anh Lớp 10
Before You Listen (Trước khi bạn nghe)
Work in groups. Ask and answer the following questions. (Làm việc nhóm. Hỏi và trả lời các câu hỏi sau.)
1. Where is Cuc Phuong National Park?
2. What is the area of the rainforest in Cuc Phuong National park?
3. When is the best time to visit Cuc Phuong National Park?
4. What can be seen in Cuc Phuong National Park?
Listen and repeat (Lắng nghe và lặp lại)
- threatened and endangered species: các loài bị đe dọa và có nguy cơ tuyệt chủng
- ethnic minority: dân tộc thiểu số
- flora: hệ thực vật
- fauna: hệ động vật
- attack: tấn công
- enemy: kẻ thù
While You Listen (Trong khi bạn nghe)
Task 1. Listen and fill in the missing information. (Nghe và điền thông tin còn thiếu.)
Bài Nghe C. Listening Unit 11 Trang 115 SGK Tiếng Anh Lớp 10 MP3
1. Cuc Phuong National Park was officially opened in ____________ .
2. Cuc Phuong is located ____________ Hanoi.
3. In 2002, nearly ____________ visited Cuc Phuong.
4. There are ____________ different species of flora and ____________ species of fauna.
5. Nguyen Hue’s army was stationed in Quen Voi before it made its ____________ on Thang Long.
Task 2. Listen again and answer the following questions. (Nghe lại và trả lời các câu hỏi sau.)
Bài Nghe C. Listening Unit 11 Trang 115 SGK Tiếng Anh Lớp 10 MP3
1. How many provinces does Cuc Phuong National Park belong to?
2. How far is it from Hanoi to Cuc Phuong?
3. What do many people come to Cuc Phuong for?
4. When did Nguyen Hue defeat the Qing invaders?
5. What do the Muong ethnic minority in Cuc Phuong live mainly on?
After You Listen (Sau khi bạn nghe)
Work in groups. Talk about the special features of Cuc Phuong National Park. (Làm việc nhóm. Nói về những nét đặc thù của Vườn quốc gia Cúc Phương.)
D. Writing Unit 11 Trang 117 SGK Tiếng Anh Lớp 10
Write a letter of acceptance or refusal (Viết thư nhận lời hoặc từ chối)
Task 1. Below are some common ways of accepting or refusing an invitation. Read them, and fill each blank of the notes with a suitable expression. (Dưới đây là một số cách phổ biến để nhận lời hoặc từ chối lời mời. Đọc chúng, và sau đó điền vào mỗi chỗ trống của các lá thư ngắn sau một cách diễn đạt thích hợp.)
|Ways of accepting (Các cách nhận)||Ways of refusing (Cách từ chối)|
|Yes, I’d like/love to. (Có, tôi rất muốn.)
Yes, that’s a great idea. (Vâng, đó là ý tưởng hay.)
Yes, I’d be delighted to. (Vâng, tôi rất thích. )
|I’m afraid I can’t come because… (Tôi e rằng tôi không thể đến bởi vì…)
I’d love to, but… (Tôi muốn, nhưng…)
I’m sorry I can’t (come) because … (Tôi xin lỗi tôi (không thể đến) bởi vì…)
1. Dear Chi,
Something is wrong with my phone, so I am leaving you this note. Thanks for your invitation __________ ! How about meeting at the school gate at 8:30?
2. Dear David,
Thanks for your notes ___________ my father has been ill since yesterday and I have to look after him. Let’s go another time.
3. Dear Daisy and Tony,
Thanks very much for your invitation to dinner. Of course, _____________ .
I’m sure we will have a very good time together.
Task 2. Rearrange the following sentences to make a letter accepting an invitation to spend a weekend in the country. (Sắp xếp những câu sau để làm thành lá thư nhận lời mời nghỉ ngày cuối tuần ở miền quê.)
a. \(\)\(\Box\) You know how much I love spending a weekend in the country after a long and hard term.
b. \(\Box\) Give my best regards to your parents and hope to see you soon.
c. \(\Box\) I would really like to come.
d. \(\Box\) Thank you for your letter.
e. \(\Box\) It’s lovely to hear that you are going to spend the next weekend in the country.
f. \(\Box\) I will catch the usual train on Friday evening.
Task 3. One of your friends has invited you to go for a picnic to Cuc Phuong National Park next weekend. Write a reply letter accepting or declining his/her invitation. (Một trong những người bạn của em mời em đi dã ngoại ở Vườn quốc gia Cúc Phương ngày cuối tuần tới. Hãy viết thư trả lời nhận hoặc từ chối lời mời của anh/chị ấy.)
E. Language Focus Unit 11 Trang 118 SGK Tiếng Anh Lớp 10
Pronunciation: / t / – / d /
Grammar: Conditional sentence type 3
Listen and repeat (Nghe và nhắc lại.)
Bài Nghe E. Language Focus Unit 11 Trang 118 SGK Tiếng Anh Lớp 10 MP3
Practise these sentences (Luyện tập các câu sau)
1. It’s next to the restaurant on the third floor. (Nó nằm cạnh nhà hàng trên tầng ba.)
2. They’re on the next counter on your left, dear. (Họ đang ở quầy tiếp theo bên trái của bạn, thân yêu.)
3. It’s exactly twenty-two minutes to ten. (Đó là chính xác là 10 giờ kém 10 phút.)
4. They stayed at home and played cards with the children. (Họ ở nhà và chơi bài với lũ trẻ.)
5. Sidney and I listened to the radio and studied. (Sidney và tôi nghe đài và nghiên cứu.)
6. Donald and I had a bad cold, so we decided to stay at home. (Donald và tôi bị cảm lạnh, nên chúng tôi quyết định ở nhà.)
Grammar and vocabulary (Ngữ pháp và từ vựng)
Exercise 1. Complete the following sentences, using the correct form of the verbs in brackets. (Hoàn thành các câu sau, sử dụng dạng đúng của các động từ trong ngoặc.)
I would have sent you a postcard if I ________ (have) your address.
I would have sent you a postcard if I had had your address.
1. If I __________ (know) that you were ill last week, I would have gone to see you.
2. I would have bought a new bicycle if I __________ (have) enough money.
3. If I had had a motorbike, I __________ (go) home immediately.
4. If he had worked hard, he __________ (pass) his examination.
5. We __________ (enjoy) the party better if it had not been so long.
6. He wouldn’t have begun to learn Russian if he __________ (know) the difficulties.
7. If the rain __________ (stop), I would have gone for a walk.
8. If you __________ (call) him, he would have come.
Exercise 2. Write a sentence with if for each situation. (Viết một câu với if cho mỗi tình huống.)
I wasn’t hungry, so I didn’t eat anything.
If I had ______________________
If I had been hungry, I would have eaten something.
1. The accidents happened because the driver in front stopped so suddenly.
If the driver in front hadn’t ______________________ .
2. I didn’t know that Lam had to get up early, so I didn’t wake him.
If I had known ______________________ .
3. I was able to buy the car only because Hoa lent me the money.
If Hoa hadn’t ______________________ .
4. Mary was not injured in the crash because she was wearing a seat belt.
If Mary hadn’t ______________________ .
5. You did not have breakfast – that is why you are hungry now.
If you had ______________________ .
6. I did not get a taxi because 1 did not have any money on me.
If I had ______________________ .
Exercise 3. Use the given information to make conditional sentences with if. (Dùng thông tin đã cho để đặt câu điều kiện với if.)
A bull was blocking the road, so we didn’t arrive on time.
If a bull hadn’t been blocking the road, we would have arrived on time.
1. I wasn’t working at the restaurant last night. I didn’t wait on your table.
2. They weren’t paying attention, so they didn’t see the sign marking their exit from the highway.
3. Carol didn’t answer the phone because she was studying.
4. The sun was shining, so we went to the beach yesterday.
5. The music was playing loudly at the restaurant, so I didn’t hear everything Mr. Lee said during the dinner.
Test Yourself D Unit 11 Trang 121 SGK Tiếng Anh Lớp 10
I. Listening (2.5 points)
Listen to the passage and answer the questions. (Nghe đoạn văn và trả lời các câu hỏi.)
1. Why do people go to a national park?
2. When did Yellowstone become a national park in the world?
3. Is Yellowstone the smallest national park in the world?
4. How many geysers does Yellowstone have?
5. What mustn’t visitors do in Yellowstone?
II. Reading (2.5 points)
Read the following passage, and then do the exercises that follow. (Đọc đoạn văn sau, và sau đó làm các bài tập theo sau.)
Conservation is the protection and wise management of the environment. People practise conservation so that the environment can preserve their needs and the needs of all other living things. Without conservation, all the resources necessary for life – air, animals, energy, minerals, plants, soil, and water – would be damaged, wasted, or destroyed.
Conservation also includes a concern for the quality of the environment, so that people can enjoy living in it. It means keeping it healthy and safe – and an interesting place to live in. A healthy environment includes clean streets and highways, with open spaces in cities for parks and playgrounds. Ideal surroundings mean landscapes free of junk and litter. They include regions of wilderness where animals and plants can he protected from the destructive influence of human beings.
1. Find the words or phrases which mean the following. (Tìm từ hay cụm từ có nghĩa sau).
a. rubbish and useless things: __________
b. scenery: __________
c. main road that connects towns or cities: __________
d. good for your health: __________
2. Decide whether the following statements are true (T) or false (F). (Xác định xem các phát biểu sau là đúng (T) hay sai (F).)
|a. If people didn’t practise conservation, they would lose all the resources necessary for life.|
|b. People practise conservation so that they can enjoy living.|
|c. People can practise conservation by looking for an interesting place to live in.|
|d. Without parks and playgrounds, conservation can’t be practised.|
|e. Ideal surroundings mean clean landscapes.|
|f. Conservation helps animals and plants exist and develop.|
III. Grammar (2.5 points)
Put the verbs in brackets in the correct form. (Viết dạng đúng của động từ trong ngoặc.)
a. Everything is ready for your lesson. The board (1. clean) ____________ and the lights (2. turn on) ____________ All the students (3. wait) ____________ for you.
b. If Mary (1. know) ____________ anything about car mechanics, I’m sure she (2. help) ____________ us fix the car, but I think she (3. know) ____________ even less than we do.
c. I (1. decide) ____________ (2. stay) ____________ at home last night.
I (3. go out) ____________ if I (4. not be) ____________ so tired.
IV. Writing (2.5 points)
Complete the invitation lelter below, using the words and phrases given as cues. (Hoàn thành lá thư mời dưới đây, dùng từ hay cụm từ đã cho như là gợi ý.)
Ở trên là nội dung bài Unit 11: National Parks – Tiếng Anh Lớp 10, tìm hiểu về công viên, vườn quốc gia qua các phần: Reading, Speaking, Listening, Writing. Ngoài ra, bài học có phần Test Yourself D để bạn tự kiểm tra kiến thức sau những bài học. Chúc các bạn học tốt Tiếng Anh Lớp 10.